Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

NOW WITH VIDEO..How to lower your rear airbags for free!!

139K views 358 replies 159 participants last post by  dpetey08 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATED WITH VIEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IghalCXVU7Y&feature=youtu.be

Below is a pic of drivers side leveler.

BEFORE YOU START ANY ADJUSTING PUT KEY IN ACC. POSITION AND REMOVE REAR YELLOW BUMPSTOPS ON THE FRAME

1) You guys can keep the rear tires on just use a 10mm long exentsion (i took tire off to make it easier to see in the pic)
2) Remove the front bolt on the drivers side and then rear bolt unloosen and slide the leveler to the rear of the truck so the rear bolt is bottomed out on the front of the rear oval groove.
3) do the same to the passengers side.
NOTE- YOU WILL NOT PUT BACK THE FRONT BOLTS ON EITHER SIDE.
4) Now this pic of drivers side leveler is with the leveler pointed down to the ground all the way which when doing the same on the passengers side it lowers the truck all the way till the air comes out of the bags.
5) When adjusting the driver side move the leveler up to lift (clockwise) and down to lower (counter clockwise)
6) When adjusting the passengers side move the leveler up to lift (counter clockwise) and down to lower (clockwise)
7) You will have to do both sides the same because if you do one side only truck might not move
8) Place both levelers on about the same position on the frame.
9) Truck will come down and when you get the height you want just tigthen up the rear bolts and your done.

Then with the bumpstops out you will need to cut them like this thread shows
http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20658

then you will just push them back in.

NOTE IF RIDE IS BAD IN REAR REPLACING THE REAR SHOCKS TO THESE WILL MAKE RIDE MUCH BETTER
http://www.tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=73

[

See less See more
Reactions: ftautosports
#3 ·
I lowered mine 2" in the rear and I have had 5 adults in it and I have had no issues at all with the bumpstops . You may try it at the hieght you want and then see if you have any issues .

#6 ·
2 inches in rear from stock bumpstop will almost be touching the pad. You can check for yourself. Go under the truck and measure from where the bumpstop is now and take away 2 inches you will see its going to be almost touching the lower pad

#10 ·
alright, so I freakin went out and TRIED to adjust the bags. I must be an idiot because I struggled for over an hour. I got the passenger side to where I want it, but now I can't get the driver side any lower.

Keep in mind I am keeping both bolts in, so now I have to raise the passenger side.

My question around this NEW mething is that do we need to do the whole "Push both mount down to jack up the rear step" ?

Also Tony, the picture you have looks like the mount is bottomed out on the one bolt. How is that in the center?? There is no room to move it?

I loosened the bolts, then turns the mounts they are attached to. That is correct right? The arm doesn't really move at all.

I am a pretty bright guy, but this "10 minute job" has beat the crap out of me. HELP!!!

#11 ·
i have the bolt out cause i needed to. If its not coming down in rear then take the bolt out in front and put the arms like mine are and then just move them up till the truck sits where you want it to. Also remember to take the bumpstop out.

the cam is whats moving it all. THe arms will move up or down also with the cam. So take the front bolt out and push the mount up so the bolts in the middle then twist it down so it look liek mine. Then to lift just move the front of it up but make sure to keep that bolt in the center or that cam.

#13 ·
I think I just clued in. You can't do this "EASY" method with both bolts in can you? Or it is at least much more difficult. You have an easy time keeping the bolt at center and just twisting the free side of the mount up or down.

Your picture looks deceiving as that bolt does not look like it is in the center.

Maybe I should remove the front bolt, do the adjuectments and see if I can get the bolt back in afterwards?

I am going to attempt this again over the weekend...I must defeat it.

#14 ·
canadian just keep rear bolt in and take out front and have it set up like mine. Truck will come all the way up then just move the arms up more and more on both sides till truck sits where you want it.

#15 ·
Thanks Tony, I am doing the remove the front bolt trick Saturday and see how I fair out. I think I am the only one that had issues with this. I saw your other thread too, which helped on height. I should keep the back 1/2" higher than the front becuz I am AWD. Thanks again!

#179 ·
HUH? What other thread? Anyone know what he is talking about in the last sentence? I don't recall this ever being said. That's what happens when you can speed read ya miss important shit like this! Also if I only go down 3/4 in the rear do I really have to cut the bumps? If so how much? Thanks

#18 ·
I just did the collars last week and it takes some playing to get everything to sit the right way. Remember that the back will make the front uneven as well. If your back is off, the front will be off. My would get the back straightened out then see if your front is off. If it is, as Norcal because there are secrets to mess with the front.

#19 ·
hey tony when adjusting the rear do you need to lift the rear sky high and adjust it from there like your old how to on rear? or can you just lower it, then to make both sides even just lift up the side thats lower or drop the the side thats higher? does this make sense? :dunno:

#21 ·
I did the collars thursday, aligned it friday and lowered the rear with this updated method. You have to have patience. That compressor/level sensor system seems to take forever to detect changes. It took about a half an hour to get it within an 1/8 of an inch all around.

The collars are nice but I thought they'd fit the spring perch a little tighter.

#22 ·
guys keep rear bolt in and then slide it up so rear bolt is in center of the arm. Here is a pic of the driver side. If you go up from this point it will lift the truck up if you go down will lower it. At this point im showing here the airbags are pretty much defleated and its much easier to adjust the bags leaving rear bolt in.

Tony, Just tried your new way suggestion, Works 100% better. Much easier to adjust. Thanks

#24 ·
Dude, I had the same problem. It was driving me crazy. I spent about an hour and a half trying to get it right and couldn't get it to respond correctly.

Just remove the front bolt and adjust. It's that easy.
Granted it will take some time to get it set where you want it, but that's a given.

I'm proud to say that I am now sitting at 16" all the way around (from center hub to fenderlip) or 30" ground to fenderlip.

#29 ·
Re-adjusted

Tony is the man. Thanks for posting updated instructions. I finally got everything where I want it and aligned. Front is 30 1/4 " and rear is 30 1/2". Unfortunately, I am still trying to determine if my new wheels (8.5" wide) are are causing the tires to rub in the rear. It could be my eyes playing tricks, but it looks like the fenders might be starting to get slightly wavy from what could be small hits.

#31 ·
what if you just unplug the compressor to lower it. Maybe hook up a switch to it so if you need to tow then it would go back to stock? or am I crazy?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.