E3 spark plugs

11K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  Another Black SS 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried these plugs? I saw ion HP TV they made about 6hp on an
LS1 and also better MPG.

http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/index.htm
2007-06 V8-6.0L (364) H ................................................ E3.44

#2 ·
I wanted to try them when I changed my plug wires a while back, but they didn't have our application at the time. Now I see they are availble, so I might give them a try. Haven't heard good or bad from anyone yet thou. :dunno:

#3 ·
I'm gonna swap to them when I put on headers in two months. I viewed the same show and am definitely interested. If nobody has posted anything by that time (I'm sure they will) I will do a lil write up.

#4 ·
I didn't see it but my dad told me about it.. The BFSC dropped.. Regardless of the engine being carb or EFI (didn't see the show) the fueling shouldn't have changed.. BFSC is measred by a little turbine meter on the fuel feed.. if less fuel is being used it was likely leaned out and thats where the power came from.

#6 ·
They look to be shrouding the spark area with too much metal between the spark flame & combustion chamber to me. Nitrous doesn't like a lot of electrode either so it seems to to 180* from what cold plugs do. All that metal on top would be like a glow plug for more dets for sure. LOL

#9 ·
Hate to quote myself, but...

I did buy these, I bought the E.54 plugs which are the equivalent of the NGK TR6 plugs...

I'll be putting them in this weekend, but at my power-level I don't expect to see any real difference.....

I'm also only running Alvin's 91 Octane tune, running 93 Octane, so again, I don't think I'll see any differene until I step up to his 93 Octane tune...

We'll see, I'll keep everyone updated...
I emailed E3 as to which of their plugs work on the TBSS:

"Thank you for your interest in E3 Spark Plugs. The next colder plug to
the E3.44 with the same dimensions is an E3.54."
Sincerely,
E3 Spark Plugs

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 1:18 PM
What is the equivalent of an NGK TR6 in an E3
sparkplug? I'm looking for one step colder than a TR55 or one small
step colder than your equivalent for a:
TRAILBLAZER SS 2007 V8-6.0L
(364) H ... E3.44
Regards.

#12 ·
Summit Racing @ $5.95 Each... They are pre-gapped from E3 with no gapping necessary...

We'll see, how they do, I don't expect that they will do anything like a CEL, or reduce gas mileage, but again only time will tell... I'm planning on installing tomorrow...
These caused a knock sesnor code to come up in my wife's Accord. I switched back to NGK's and it went away.

I also lost about 40-50 miles per tank full. I had them in for about a month. They seemed ok at first.

#14 ·
The E3 prototypes we tested outlasted all non-platinum spark plug in longevity even though they were made from mild steel. For production plugs, we use a special high-temperature alloy with a high nickel content plus additional elements to make an extremely long-lived electrode pair.
Well, thats from the E3 marketing web page and with marketing, if it says one thing, then it implies another. They say they outlast other standard non-platinum plugs, and they are not platinum plugs themselves. This directly implies platinum plugs are better. The stock TBSS plugs are platinum plugs...so put two and two together here.

Let us know how they work out and keep your factory plugs on the bench ready to be reinstalled once you get pissed at the E3 plugs.

http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/diamondfire.htm

#19 ·
They really don't contradict themselves, they say that since there is more surface area on their plugs, they won't wear as fast as regular plugs (non-platinum)... but they do warrant them for 100,000 miles... And don't worry I only have 4,500 miles on my truck, an I will keep my stock plugs...

On to next business, I was able to change only half of my plugs today before running out of light, the hard side, and I did so by raising up the passenger side and removing the tire and the inner fender-well liner, made it alot easier, removed all 4 plugs, threaded the rear three from below, stood on my spare tire and threaded the #1? front sparkplug from ontop (after releasing the A/C line braket next to the oil fill tube), that and removing the airbox makes it relatively easy... I used loc-tite 1800 degree anti-seize, and had ABSOLUTELY no problems with my Granetelli 2811HT wires, pulled off no problems, though I was careful.... next I tightened and put everything together and started her up just for 30 seconds to make sure there was no backfire or CEL.... walla presto everything looked and sounded great...

I also installed the AFE in place of the K&N, and let me tell you in advance.... Cut off the two 1/2 in spacers at the top of the filter, the larger cone filter for the CAI kits are much larger, and those two spacers (on the AFE) make the difference between whether or not the factory airbox will fit...

Hope this helps....

#16 ·
Seems like alot of guys are being negative without anyone even trying these plugs. I could see if a bunch of us had tried them and had mixed feelings about them but no one has even tried them yet. Who knows they might be great for our trucks, we dont have to over think everything. David go 4 it let me know, at least you did something.

#20 · (Edited)
In short, if you want a true performance plug BUY COPPER and spend the money you saved on something that'll truely make a difference.

The only thing these designer electrode plugs will do for you is lighten your wallet. I've been in this game a long time. Sorry, but I don't have to spend extra cash to prove this is all a marketing ploy. This has been proven time and again with the gimicky plugs like splitfire, rapidfires, Bosch +2 and +4. If these plugs did truely increase power then they would be used extensively and would have been a long time ago. The only increases you will get from a plug change is regianing lost power because your plugs were getting fouled or regaining power because you needed a different heat range.

Now to bust up the quote from their propganda page.
"The E3 prototypes we tested outlasted all non-platinum spark plug in longevity even though they were made from mild steel. For production plugs, we use a special high-temperature alloy with a high nickel content plus additional elements to make an extremely long-lived electrode pair."

High nickle content will make the electrode harder and more heat resistant etc. It will do all of NOTHING for making the electrode more conductive. I would see it actually hindering conductivity. They are bragging that their electrode is mild steel with nickle...so what. What are the wires in your house made of? Copper. Ever wonder why? Because copper conducts electricity better than any other metal. Will these steel plugs last longer? Sure. Will they deliver a stronger spark? No way!
The metals like platinum and irridium don't conduct as well as copper, but they are harder and last longer. This is the only benefit to them also. Consider that both of these metals will conduct electricity better than steel and for the price of these steel eletroded plugs you could have Plat or Irid which will last longer and deliver a better spark than the E3.

So they have more surface area. Ever really watch an electrode work or check out a used one closely? More surface area doesn't matter because the spark will only jump from the 2 closest points. If all the the distances are closest it'll find a path and keep using that path. Its the whole least resistance concept. I agree that these plugs look like they would shroud the kernal and hinder ignition more than help.

Now if you believe all their hype let me know and I'll hook you up with a turbonator, tornado air, and a fuel catalyst. All have had claims of increased HP and efficiency too. Hell, I'll even teach you the benefits of roller muffler bearings and DOT 5.75 synthetic blinker fluid.

#21 ·
Do you see how much we spend on other stuff we buy? $50 dollars for even a possible HP gain is woth it I dont care if is 1 HP. Now your full page write up, how would anything new ever get going if every time it comes out nobody had the balls to at least try it "That T.V. thing will never catch on". If your truck even so much as feels like it runs better to you after you try something new than it was worth it. Dude is out of $50 bucks, dont over think everything, it is very possible for this to be a quality plug that is a 1% better than stock. His money, his time, his choice, his ride, nuf said.

#22 · (Edited)
Please, enlighten us how a plug that shrouds the kernal, is made of a poorer conducting metal, and metal that the manufacturer even says won't last as long as platinum is going to be better than our stock plugs....

Thats right. Don't over think everything. Be a lemming and listen to the propaganda from the company's marketing department. Is the $50 worth a possible decrease in HP to you when you could spend less than $20 for true performance plugs???

The problem is designer plugs have been tried before. People just don't pay attention to past mistakes, are too young to remember, or think they know everything and don't listen to people that have been there so they buy into the same gimicks over and over again. I remember the gimicky plugs that were out in the 80's and 90's that did nothing for performance. This one is no different.

Again, if you want a performance plug BUY COPPER because it is the superior conductor. That is a fact you can't dispute.

#23 ·
Prapaganda, Dude it is a car spark plug, if it dont work take it out and learn the lesson. You have to try somethings in life this aint crack its a spark plug you wont get addicted. I am old enough to at least be willing to experience one of those new fangled sparky plug thingy magigers. Buy copper, do you work for them or something, And after looking at the Kernal of the cooper thats how you know they are the best or was it the diamond flackes they use gamma rayed to form a super conducting metal. Splitfires rule and I dont care what you say! Every now and then friend something just might be better than what you or I think you wont really know unless one of us tries it and then comes back and lets us know how it worked out, thats kind of the reason we are here. You act as if we dont use cooper plug we are stupid, truth is he is running a experiment something cheap and reversable, he is my scientist , I call him Doctor FrankinPlug!!!! E3 baby.

#24 · (Edited)
Learn the lesson that you could have learned by listenning to a guy that has been in the game for 20 years and not lose $50 in the mean time. Sounds like a smart way to go.

Do you have to try a turbonator to know it isn't going to work too? They're pretty cheap also.

Its funny how you can't dispute my case so you just try to discredit me. ;) Ya, you're one person I'd want to listen to.

#25 · (Edited)
Turbonator... funny you must have read my profile over at the other trailblazerSS website: http://www.trailblazerss.com/forums/index.php?showuser=7394
Other Information
Name: David - AWD 3SS
Owns: TrailBlazerSS Owner
Color: Summit White
Model Year: 2007
Build Date/TPW: 6/20/2007
Delivery Date: 8/1/2007
Delivering Dealership: No Information
Modifications: IEATSRT8 CAI+IAT HSRK+Granatelli 2811HT wires+160 Thermostat+GL100 F&R Gear lube
(the Turbnado looks good too... and only $9.95 for 35 HP) ;-)

I agree that copper is one of the best 'old school' plugs you can buy... they are tried and tested... I used regular autolites in my T-Type, and ran 12.10's so yes they work....

I too am skeptical of these plugs, and that's why I'm trying them... as long as they don't hurt, I'm willing to be a guinea pigs for these younger guyz.... so they don't have to waste there money.... but only time will tell...

Many are using Iridium and platinum, and are very happy.... and now nickel alloy...

One thing I will tell you is that apart from the three prongs, the center electrode is HUGE compared to other sparkplugs, the platinum plugs that came out are like pinheads compared to an eraser head...

So while copper is a better conductor of electricity, nickel alloy on a 50 to 1 scale ( just an exageration but close when compared to a platinum tip ), will probably flow electricity just a effectively as copper....

Now I'm no scientist or electrical engineer (Alvin), but It looks good, and I'm willing to give it a try.... and the heat range is now one step colder... two birds with one stone...

I'll let you guys know how they do, and I'll make some Dashhawk passes and see what the numbers tell me ...

Anyway it's my money, and I'm bored, and $50 won't kill me...

#26 ·
Well, Im just your backyard mechanic, no special training other than takin apart and building it back myself. I bought the E3 plugs from Advance when I went to get tune up supplies...he said E3, I never heard of them so gave them a try, I was dissappointed w/splitfire in my LT1, so I'll give something else a try. I have noticed NO CHANGE in anything in my engine...EXCEPT a nice ticking sound since I've changed to these plugs. Who knows whats causing it...but it started AFTER i put in the E3 plugs. Have NOT noticed any increase in engine power, my MPG's are still where they were before new plugs. The engine seems to run hotter w/the new plugs in...They seem like regular plugs to me...I have no fancy equipment to tell different stats w/in the computer, just me and my truck. I've had the plugs in for about 5K miles..theres my 2cents.

#27 ·
I could careless if you listen to me or not Greed4Speed. KssMySS I will listen to because he has actually tried them! How can you dispute something you have never tried or experienced. We are to take your word for it and not do a real world test. When you speak in absolutes it tells you alot about a person. This you cant dispute It is Davids money Dispute that. Or is that prapaganda, what ever. When do you ever try something new and different I see this as a learning opportunity. I respect your 20 years but cant these young guys have a chance to find thier own path, do it their way. It is a spark plug for crying out loud. You cant even say you have tried these plugs so you have no weight in the conversation. Again respect your years but things do change my friend.

#30 · (Edited)
I would imagine the tick is pre-ignition. A big electrode like the E3 has is bound to develop hot spots which would cause that. You can't add more metal and not expect it to retain heat.

Ok Bigman, here you have 2 people who have tried the E3 with results as I predicted. Designer plugs are just a gimick to get people to spend more $ on plugs. I had an old guy who built performance engines tell me that many years ago. I watched countless people throw good $ away looking for extra hp only to A) find no extra power or B) have problems from the plugs.

How can I speak in absolutes about something I haven't tried myself? It is called "observation." You know, how you can see someone touch something and burn themself and because of that you don't have to touch it to know it is hot and yet you can say, "Don't touch that, its hot."

Just like you are using someone else to test the E3, I have seen countless people try many variations of plug designs and materials with the same outcomes. Now I don't know about you, but after I've seen the same thing happen repeatedly, I tend to know what will happen and will speak in absolutes.

For a personal experience in this, I have tried Rapid Fires. They were free so I figured why not. They didn't do a thing that the copper Autolite plugs I used before and after didn't do. Go figure.... :biggrin2:

#32 ·
Are they both on our truck pay close attention now, what ride did they say it was on. Like I said I will take someone who has real world experience not just some guy who think he knows it all about everything because he has 20 years in the bla bla bla, how oneside can you get, the point is for $50 bucks fully reversable mod you might find a good plug. You have written so much and still havent proven anything from "What you Know" you just took a view that it was a gimick and that was that from you, it is onesided and narrow, how else can I put it. The other guys have true experience you have hot air, you could have atleast said your friend or someone you know tried them and base off that you form your opinon, no you just go on and on about cooper plugs like advance never come along. YOU have no weight SIR the others do, cant you see that. Rapidfires dont count for this we are talking about E3. As for you and I are concern, I respect your view and disagree with it all at once. One thing I have is common sense, and Im not using anyone Im learning from a man willing to try a mod, Some people said e-fans wouldnt yield any HP, but guess what they do. I agree to diagree, but Im right.

#34 ·
Well I'm happy to report no ticking... No detonation... no misfires, and after a week of one bank of E3's my MPG is the same as last week... This morning I changed the other bank of plugs, and guess what.... still no ticking, detonation, or misfires, I set up my dashhawk for KR and TM KR, and I'm happy to report, after two 0-70 runs... 0 KR... except during shifting TM KR...

Now remember I got the E3.54's one step colder than the stock replacement E3.44's so that may be the difference, but All I can say is I notice no downside, idle is smooth, nothing to make me think that they were a bad choice... (other than they are not copper)

Now I'll be hitting the track in the next two weeks, so If I break 100 MPH in this summer heat, I'll be convinced that it's due to the plugs, because the only other mod I've done is the catch can... so we'll see... :popcorn3:

We have jacked this thread long enough, lets wait and see what David says about them? ...

#37 ·
So I decided to run some 0-60's on my dashhawk...

1st run:
AAT: 80 degrees
IAT: 86 degrees
ECT: 180 degrees
0-60.2 in 5.54 seconds (no TC stall)

2nd run:
AAT: 80 degrees
IAT: 93 degrees
ECT: 180 degrees
0-60.9 in 5.52 seconds (1K RPM TC stall)

Not bad, for an 2007 AWD, Alvin's 91 Octane tune, 160 thermostat, Granetelli wires, GL-100 lube, catch can (still empty), No Muffler...

And oh yes E3.54 sparkplugs (and no ticking)

And for the haters;

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.